Years ago, braces were traditionally worn by teenagers and it was rare to see an adult undergoing orthodontic treatment. However, times have changed. Today, it is more common than ever to see adults wearing braces. It’s likely that you’ve seen metal brackets and wires adorning the teeth of someone you know – a coworker, friend or family member. Hopefully seeing others wearing braces reinforces the idea that it is perfectly normal for adults to straighten their teeth.
If you’ve been contemplating orthodontic treatment, you shouldn’t let any hesitation about your appearance prevent you from experiencing the many benefits associated with a straight smile. Any self-consciousness you may experience will be short-lived. You may receive some questions or comments from others the first few days you have braces, but after that they will become a normal part of your appearance. Everyone in your life, including you, will have adjusted to the new addition to your smile.
At Love Brushing Dentistry, we offer a variety of orthodontic options, allowing you to choose the solution that best meets your unique preferences and bite alignment issues. These include:
- Metal braces – This traditional option still delivers extremely effective results
- Clear ceramic braces – These are popular with adults because they provide a more discreet solution
- Clear aligners – A series of clear, removable plastic aligners are used to straighten your teeth, ensuring your treatment will be virtually undetectable by others
Why Should I Get Braces?
There are many reasons why getting braces as an adult is a good idea:
- Straighter teeth will improve your confidence in your smile – Your smile is one of the first things others will notice when they meet you. When you feel good about your smile, it can help you exude the confidence necessary to make a great impression in personal and professional interactions. If you are hesitant to smile due to crooked teeth, braces can help eliminate this issue once and for all.
- Longer life expectancy makes healthy teeth even more important than ever – The life expectancy in the United States keeps climbing higher and higher. Many people are now living into their late 70s or 80s. That is a long time to need healthy, functioning teeth. A properly aligned bite can help you maintain healthy teeth and gums as you get older.
- It’s easier to clean straight teeth – Crooked teeth often result in spaces where plaque can build up easily. You may also experience pockets near your gum tissue where food particles can become trapped. To make matters worse, it is much harder to brush and floss these areas. All of these factors can increase your risk of gum disease. When you have straight teeth, your brushing and flossing efforts will be more effective at eliminating the plaque and tartar which cause periodontal disease.
- You can avoid certain health issues caused by a poorly aligned bite – When your bite isn’t properly aligned, you are more likely to develop many of the painful symptoms associated with TMJ. This may make you more susceptible to jaw pain, headaches, back pain and other debilitating chronic issues. A poorly aligned bite will also lead to uneven tooth wear. By straightening your teeth, you can eliminate these issues.
- Modern braces are less noticeable than ever – If you are worried about the way you will look during your orthodontic treatment, you can choose a treatment option such as ceramic braces or clear aligners. These solutions are more discreet, eliminating the self-consciousness commonly associated with “a mouth full of metal.”
Learn about Your Options
Please contact Love Brushing Dentistry using the form on this page or call 713-490-2088 today to schedule an orthodontic consultation. We serve patients in Pasadena, Channelview, Baytown and throughout East Houston.